First Try at Bookbinding

I’ve always been interested in bookbinding, but haven’t given it a shot until now. I followed these excellent tutorials by Sea Lemon on YouTube, and I think my book came out okay.

I made the case using black Tyvek for the cover, and 1/4″ masonite for the spine and front and back boards. I think it worked pretty well, and I like the way it looks.

FirstBook-Front

I sewed the signatures together using upholstery thread, and the book opens up really well.

FirstBook-Open

This is the view of the cover with the book open on the table. I cut the board for the spine about twice as wide as I should have, and I’m not entirely happy with that. I got a bit impatient once the text block was done, and just charged ahead…

FirstBook-Cover

Another issue with rushing ahead was that I used a bit too much glue on the endpapers, and they wrinkled a bit as they dried.

FirstBook-Endpapers

All things considered, I’m very happy with the way the book turned out, and I’ve got some different techniques to try next time.

FirstBook-Spine