You could be a maker, if you …..
- Like to create new things out of old electronics.
- Have a slew of old parts that you saved for making the new thing.
- Are well beyond making a macaroni necklace but still prefer to hand make gifts. (Build rather than buy)
- Are an EXTREME crafter that learns new tricks by watching you tube videos but you don’t always have the equipment at home to pull it off.
- Are retired and want to start working on those projects that you have been meaning to get to but a job kept getting in the way.
- Like to tinker, invent or build software.
- Are interested in home automation and being your own big brother.
- Like to solve problems by inventing a new device as your own private solution.
- Are creative looking for an outlet of multiple mediums, metal, wood, 3D Printing and laser etching.
You could need space, if you …..
- Are an apartment dweller that has limited space for tools like a table saw, drill press or laser cutter.
- Need a reason to get out of the house once in a while and socialize with other people with shared interests?
- If you don’t have a basement, now you can.
- Moved to the area recently and need to expand your social surroundings.
- Your she shed burned down but your insurance didn’t cover the replacement.
- Don’t have all the tools you need, and you don’t want to buy and store them yourself.
- You can make a mess, and you have to clean up after yourself, but at least you won’t be getting sawdust in your house.
The Space is a community
Online or in-person, there’s a place for asking questions or offering help from people that have similar experiences or different knowledge that may provide a perspective you had not considered.
- Active members show up on Thursday nights to work on their own projects and to see who stops by to share their project.
- Working with other people side by side, there are opportunities to learn how the right tool can make a job so much easier.
- Members use Online communications using slack.com with channels for various topics of interest. You don’t have to leave the house to share ideas or get advice on a project when you reach a roadblock.
The dictionary defines makerspace as:
a place in which people with shared interests, especially in computing or technology, can gather to work on projects while sharing ideas, equipment, and knowledge. Workshop 88 is a community space where you can make stuff and share ideas. Stop by any Thursday evening from 7pm-9pm for a workshop tour to see for yourself.