3D PRINTING – Slicers
Slicer – the software that generates the G-Code that is sent to the 3D printer.
Check out the February 23, 2021 Workshop 88 Maker Meeting here:
The 3D Printing process involves
- obtaining an .stl file (custom design or downloaded)
- preparing that file for the specific 3D printer to be used (slicer software)
- Tonight’s focus is G-Code
- 3D printing
There are many old web links that still work. But that doesn’t mean it’s the most current version of software. The Prusa Printer software is based on the open source Slic3r. But the latest edition (as of this writing) of Prusa Slicer Software is available on the Prusa3D.com website and it is called PrusaSlicer 2.3.
Slic3r.org – opensource, last release (2018-05-10)
Versions from Prusa (still free and OpenSource): Slic3r Prusa Edition, PrusaSlicer 2.0
Automated Bed Level Hardware Add-On
Demo of BLTouch including what is required for installation on an Ender 3 printer.
- BLTouch Manual https://www.antclabs.com/manual
- BLTouch Install and Configure https://3dwork.io/en/configure-bltouch-in-marlin/
- YouTube Video help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4qdKdqJj4
Moving from Slic3rPE to PrusaSlicer 2.3.0
- have a working example
- compare G-Codes
- import what you can
Moving from MakerBot Desktop to PrusaSlicer 2.3.0
- custom settings
- build on success
- know what you need and your machine can handle
Bed Weld product for adhering 3D printed objects to bed while printing.
- Calibration Cube https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865
- Ultimaker Cura Slicer download https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura
- Prusa slicer download https://www.prusa3d.com/drivers/
- Prusa Slicer Source Code https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases
- Prusa Slic3r PE https://forum.prusaprinters.org/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-general-discussion-announcements-and-releases/slic3r-prusa-edition-1.40.1-final/
- Open Source 3d Printing Toolbox – https://slic3r.org/download/ Last update 2018
- Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ (Great tool, install plugin:Compare)
- Diff tool http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/
- Reference that shows G-code flavor differences https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
- How to use Workshop 88 3D Printer http://blog.workshop88.com/w88-equipment-doc/replicator-dual/
Workshop 88 is a makerspace in Glen Ellyn Illinois. We are more than a workshop, we are a growing community of creative talented people who aspire to learn and share knowledge, experiences, and projects.
Never miss a tip or project! Follow our blog at www.Workshop88.com, subscribe to Workshop88’s YouTube channel, like us on Facebook, follow us Twitter and join or support our maker community by contributing to Workshop88 on Patreon!
To find out about upcoming events follow Workshop88 on Meetup.
Have a question? email us at info@Workshop88.com