- This event has passed.
Mastering the Linux Command Line (July 2011)
July 20, 2011| $16.36
Linux gives us the power we need to crush those who oppose us. Learn how to being to use the hundreds of tiny utilities contained in *nix systems to create simple solutions that you may think require writing a program, script, or complex system. Forget spending countless hours designing, writing ,and debugging code in the cloud. See the methods taught in this class to begin to understand how to quickly link Linux commands together to create quick solutions to what may seem like a complex task. Spend more time on world domination and less time learning the sexy programming language of the day. What you will learn:
- Learn to navigate the shell quickly saving keystrokes, sparing yourself from the scourge of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- What the hell do all those funky symbols mean? Amaze your significant other with the ability to read shell scripts like a Chinese newspaper.
- Learn a few quick tips to automate your system administration and audit it for weaknesses.
- Create a simple command to notify yourself of changes to your favorite web pages. Never miss out on those Deltron 3030 tickets again!
- Create parsers to crunch the data needed to map pig genomes. Win the Nobel prize!!
- Stand up a poor man’s web server to serve content in a pinch.
We’ll only touch the tip of the iceberg but you’ll walk away with the understanding and methodology to search the UNIX tool set to create your very own solutions to life’s problems. What you should know ahead of time: Basic Linux commands and how to navigate the file system: Are cd, rm, mv, cp man, and ~ Greek to you? Learn this first at home: http://code.google.com/edu/tools101/linux/basics.html What you need to bring: A laptop running your favorite flavor of Linux or vm-ware player. The utilities we will review are available on 90% of *nix flavor system. You can also download Linux appliances, but please come to class with your system ready.