Workshop 88 is a makerspace in Glen Ellyn Illinois. We are more than a workshop, we are a growing community of creative talented people who aspire to learn and share their insights, experiences, and projects.
Please subscribe to Workshop88’s YouTube channel, like us on facebook, and join or support our maker community by contributing to Workshop88 on Patreon!
To find out about upcoming events follow Workshop88 on Meetup.
Do you have a question? email us at info@Workshop88.com
Welcome to the second Workshop 88 Makers Round-table in a row on Zoom where we plan to share our projects, ideas, and related resources. The attendees and agenda are below, the meeting will be recorded and hosted on YouTube, and resources like links and other related information can be found here after the event.
- Andrew Morrison
- Scott Williamson
- Jim Williams
- Tom Matukas
- Gail Jo Kelly
- Daniil Bystrukhin
- Peter Fales
- Phil Strons
- Karl Knutson
- Christine Heermann
Show & tell time!
Each session will target 10 minutes for show and tell and 5 minutes for Q&A
7:05pm – Scott recently explored Free and Open Source video editing software and will share his findings including resurrecting an antique and finding a real gem!
7:20pm – Jim will share laser cut fluorescent non-round gears
General discussion topics
- Home Automation (ESP-01, ESP-32, Arduino, WiFi, MQTT, Mosquito, Raspberry Pi, Linux, battery/solar power…)
- Daniil and Peter shared a lot of detailed information about the hardware, protocols, software they use to monitor and control many things around their homes – links below.
- “What are you 3D printing?”
- Andrew shared hexagonal tangram-like puzzle he designed in TinkerCAD and 3D printed. We discussed additional puzzles and ways to improve the puzzle and print quality.
- “What are you making / preparing for the holidays?”
- YouTube link to this event: tbd
- Scott’s video editor links:
- Scott’s 2002 RC stunt DVD on YouTube (rated PG) Naked RC Goin Wild
- Scott’s Mobula 6 HD mini drone FPV videos
- OpenShot Video Editor
- LightWorks Video Editor
- VSDC Video Editor
- HitFilm Express Video Editor
- Kdenlive Video Editor (not reviewed)
- Pitivi Video Editor (not reviewed)
- Adobe Creative Cloud plans and pricing including Premiere
- Mixkit free stock music
- Christine suggested Davinci Resolve ($300) as a powerful professional grade video editor
- GailJo pointed out that Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 & Premiere Elements 2021 is still available on disk [PC/Mac Disc] ($150, Scott could not find it when searched)
- Non circular gears:
- Gearotic Software Jim used to create non-circular gears
- Home Automation Links:
- ESP8266 Microcontroller with WiFi capability. Affordible and can be programmed in Arduino IDE
- ESP32 Successor to ESP8266. Very powerful MCU with integrated Wi-Fi and (or) Bluetooth.
- TASMOTA Open source firmware for WSP8266 devices
- MQTT Standard for IoT messaging with easy to use pub/sub topics model.
- Mosquitto Open source MQTT broker
- Node-RED Programming tool for wiring together hardware devices
- Home Assistant – Open Source home automation software
- nginx HTTP server, proxy and more, used to host sites for monitoring
- Life360 Family safety and coordination software
- GPS Logger – DIY location tracking app for mobile devices
- RTK Satellite correction to improve GPS quality. There are affordable DIY RTK base station solutions that allow improved accuracy within communication range to your device.
- ublox Maker of low power and affordable GPS modules
- PCB layout software Tom is using for the Covid Laser Choir project